Is the CPC really interested in Democracy ?
CPC policy in the Stand up for Canada Document describes how "Liberal prime ministers have often unilaterally appointed Liberal candidates to run in ridings, leaving various ethnic and cultural groups feeling they have been discriminated against."
Then leaves the riding of Vancouver Kingsway "various ethnic and cultural groups feeling they have been discriminated against" by encouraging their elected Liberal David Emerson to switch parties and represent the conservatives in this riding as a conservative. Even though the conservatives finished a distant 3rd in voter support in the riding)
The CPC policy states "On issues of moral conscience, such as abortion, the definition of marriage and euthanasia, the Conservative Party acknowledges the diversity of deeply held personal convictions among individual Party members and the right of Members of Parliament to adopt positions in consultation with their constituents and to vote freely." and yet does not allow our democratically elected MPs to speak or discuss any topics not approved by Stephen Harper !!
CPC Policy states "A Conservative government will:
• Give the Ethics Commissioner the power to fine violators.
• Prevent the Prime Minister from overruling the Ethics Commissioner on whether the Prime Minister, a minister, or an official is in violation of the Conflict of Interest Code.
• Enshrine the Conflict of Interest Code into law.
• Close the loopholes that allow ministers to vote on matters connected with their business interests.
• End “venetian blind” trusts that allow ministers to remain informed about their business interests, and require all ministerial assets to be placed in truly blind trusts.
• Allow members of the public – not just politicians – to make complaints to the Ethics Commissioner.
• Make part-time or non-remunerated ministerial advisers subject to the Ethics Code."
And yet Stephen Harper will refuses to cooperate with the Ethics commissioner.
CPC Policy describes democratic reforms to make the senate elected then, Appoints a non elected Michael Fortier to the senate and then as minister to Public works and government services. After the sponsorship scandal , how can we now have some one who is not elected and not does not sit in parliament and therefore can not be questioned by other MP's be the minister whose department is responsible for:
Accountability and Transparency
Public Works and Government Services Canada continuously strives to be transparent and accountable in how it does business. Here you will find links to detailed departmental information on our operations, including
- Information on contracts over $10,000.
- Information on travel and hospitality expenses for senior departmental officials.
- Information on the reclassification of occupied positions by PWGSC.
Code of Fair Contract Practices
Government Moves to Strengthen Transparency
An Integrity Pact Between Government and Suppliers
- A comprehensive government-wide review of procurement objectives, activities, policies, legislation, and management.
- A database containing information on contracts awarded by PWGSC on behalf of other federal government departments and agencies.
Internal Audits and Reviews
helps guide, assess and continuously improve the ethical conduct of departmental employees.